On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 2:55 PM Francesco Romani <from...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 10/8/19 4:06 PM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
>
> Hi Gianluca
>
> > Hello,
> > I'm doing some tests related to storage latency or problems manually
> > created to debug and manage reactions of hosts and VMs.
> > What is the subsystem/process/daemon responsible to pause a VM when
> > problems arise on storage for the host where the VM is running?
>

> It's Vdsm itself.

ok

> > How is determined the timeout to use to put the VM in pause mode?
>

> The VM is paused immediately as soon as libvirt, through QEMU, reports
> IOError, to avoid data corruption. Now, when libvirt reports this error
>
> depends laregly on the timeout set for the storage configuration, which
> is done at host level, using system tools (e.g. it is not a Vdsm tunable)

For test I have set this in multipath.conf of host:

devices {
    device {
        all_devs                yes
# Set timeout of queuing of 5*28 = 140 seconds
# similar to vSphere APD timeout
#        no_path_retry           fail
        no_path_retry           28
        polling_interval            5
    }

So it should wait at least 140 seconds before passing error to upper layer
correct?

> > Sometimes I see after clearing the problems that the VM is
> > automatically un-paused, sometimes no: how is this managed?

I noticed that if I set disk as virtio-scsi (it seems virtio has no timeout
definable and passes suddenly the error to upper layer) and disk timeout of
vm disk (through udev rule) to 180 seconds, I can block access to the
storage for example for 100 seconds and the host is able to reinstate paths
and then vm is always unpaused.
But I would like to prevent VM from pausing at all
What else to tweak?

Thanks,
Gianluca