On 17-3-2020 21:31, Strahil Nikolov wrote:
> On March 17, 2020 10:21:53 PM GMT+02:00, Shareef Jalloq
> <shar...@jalloq.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to set up a hosted engine on an NFS share provided by a
>> Synology
>> NAS.  I've been reading the info and threads regarding the requirement
>> that
>> the share be owned by vdsm:kvm with uid:gid of 36:36, but this seems
>> impossible to set on modern Synology boxes.
>>
>> My understanding of DSM is that the user doesn't have control of the
>> UID
>> and GID of users.  You can ssh in and modify /etc/passwd but these
>> files
>> are auto-generated from Synology's own scripts so changes here will not
>> persist across reboots.  Is that correct?
>>
>> Secondly, having read lots of posts about permissions and various
>> issues
>> around export settings, why isn't this documented anywhere?  There just
>> seems to be lots of contradictory posts.  For example, my experience
>> has
>> been:
>>
>> - my Synology vdsm:kvm ids are 1028:65536
>> - the permissions on the NFS export are 777, anything else gives
>> permissions errors in HE setup
>> - the hosted engine install went fine with these settings.
>> - the nfs-check.py script provided to check the NFS export fails but
>> the
>> installation still completes.
>>
>> So are these issues specific to Synology or is the documentation out
>> there
>> just wrong?
>>
>> #confused
>>
>> Cheers, Shareef.
> Actually,
> I have seen users using anonuid=36,anonguid=36,all_squash  (or whatever were
> the anon user options) which  forces all users on the share to be mapped to
> nfsnobody and that user/group will have uid  of '36'.

Yes, thats the way I do it.
If you add the exports using the UI you don't get the right lines in
/etc/exports but if you enable ssh access you can edit the file and than do:
mkdir -p /volume1/ovirt/{he|data}
chown -R 36:36 /volume1/ovirt
install oVirt using the nfs path your.nas:/volume1/ovirt/he

That should work.

Greetings,

Joop