On March 28, 2020 11:03:54 AM GMT+02:00, Gianluca Cecchi
<gianluca.cec...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 8:39 AM Strahil Nikolov <hunter86...@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>> On March 28, 2020 3:21:45 AM GMT+02:00, Gianluca Cecchi <
>> gianluca.cec...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>[snip]
>
>>Actually it only happened with empty disk (thin provisioned) and
>sudden
>> >high I/O during the initial phase of install of the OS; it didn't
>> >happened
>> >then during normal operaton (even with 600MB/s of throughput).
>>

>[snip]
>

>> Hi Gianluca,
>>
>> Is it happening to machines with preallocated disks or on machines
>with
>> thin disks ?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Strahil Nikolov
>>

>thin provisioned. But as I have tro create many VMs with 120Gb of disk
>size
>of which probably only a part during time will be allocated, it would
>be
>unfeasible to make them all preallocated. I learned that thin is not
>good
>for block based storage domains and heavy I/O, but I would hope that it
>is
>not the same with file based storage domains...
>Thanks,
>Gianluca

This is normal - gluster cannot allocate fast enough the needed shards (due to
high IO),  so the qemu pauses  the VM until  storage  is available  again .

You can think about VDO (with deduplication ) as a  PV for the  Thin LVM and
this way you can preallocate your VMs , while saving space (deduplication,
zero-block elimination  and even compression).
Of  course, VDO will reduce  performance (unless  you have battery-backed write
cache and compression is disabled),  but  tbe benefits will be alot more.

Another approach is to increase the shard size - so gluster will create fewer
shards,  but allocation on disk will be higher.

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov