On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 2:24 PM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 2:16 AM Sandro Bonazzola <sbona...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> If you have followed the oVirt project for a few releases you already know
>> oVirt has struggled to keep the pace with the fast innovation cycles Fedora
>> Project is following.
>>
>> Back in September 2019 CentOS project launched CentOS Stream as a rolling
>> preview of future RHEL kernels and features, providing an upstream
>> development platform for ecosystem developers that sits between Fedora and
>> RHEL.
>>
>> Since then the oVirt project tried to keep the software working on Fedora,
>> CenOS Stream, and RHEL/CentOS but it became quickly evident the project
>> lacked resources to keep the project running on three platforms. Further,
>> our user surveys show that oVirt users strongly prefer using oVirt on CentOS
>> and RHEL.
>>
>> With the upcoming end of life of Fedora 30 the oVirt project has decided to
>> stop trying to keep the pace with this amazing platform, focusing on
>> stabilizing the software codebase on RHEL / CentOS Linux. By focusing our
>> resources and community efforts on RHEL/CentOS Linux and Centos Stream, we
>> can provide better support for those platforms and use more time for moving
>> oVirt forward.
>>

> This is a humongous mistake. Almost everything with virtualization and
> storage starts in Fedora. And there are some configurations that will not be
> possible in CentOS Stream because of the nature of it.
>
> As far as the oVirt software keeping up with Fedora, the main problem here
> has always been that people aren't integrating their software into the
> distribution itself. That's how everything can get tested together. And this
> comes back to the old bug about fixing vdsm so that it doesn't use /rhev, but
> instead something FHS-compliant (RHBZ#1369102). Once that is resolved, pretty
> much the entire stack can go into Fedora. And then you benefit from the
> Fedora community being able to use, test, and contribute to the oVirt
> project. As it stands, why would anyone do this for you when you don't even
> run on the cutting edge platform that feeds into Red Hat Enterprise Linux?

This was actually fixed a long time ago. With this commit:
https://github.com/oVirt/vdsm/commit/67ba9c4bc860840d6e103fe604b16f494f60a09d

You can configure a compatible vdsm that does not use /rhev.

Of course it is not backward compatible, for this we need much more
work to support live migration
between old and new vdsm using different data-center configurations.