On May 21, 2020 6:08:19 PM GMT+03:00, Derek Atkins <de...@ihtfp.com> wrote:
>Nir,
>
>Nir Soffer <nsof...@redhat.com> writes:
>
>> Why not open RFE to add the feature you need?
>
>I did -- about 3-4 years ago.  SOME of them have been implemented, some
>have been partially implemented, but I am still waiting for ovirt to
>support the full VM startup functionality that I had in vmware-server
>from like 2007 (or earlier).
>
>Part of the issue here is that I suspect most ovirt users have multiple
>hosts and therefore rarely have to worry about how host-system
>maintenance affects the VMs, and probably live in data centers with
>redundant power supplies, UPSes, and backup generators.
>
>I, on the other hand, I've got a single system so when I need to
>perform any maintenance I need to take down everything, or if I have a
>power outage that outlasts my UPS, or...  I want the VMs to come back
>up
>automatically -- and in a particular order (e.g., I need my DNS and KDC
>servers to come up before others).
>
>I filed these RFEs during the 4.0 days, which is when I first started
>using ovirt and put it into deployment.
>
>> You can use the python SDK to do anything supported by oVirt API.
>> Did you look here?
>> https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine-sdk/tree/master/sdk/examples
>
>I have looked there, but I stopped reading after seeing "python".  ;)
>Frankly I detest python.  I think it's an abomination.  There are so
>many other, better languages out there and I don't understand why so
>many people like it (and worse, force it down everyone else's throats).
>But I'll step off my soap-box (and get off my lawn!)  lol.
>
>Honestly, I already spent the time to build a tool to do what I need.
>even had to update the tool going from 4.1 to 4.3 because some startup
>assumptions changed.  I really don't want to spend the time again, time
>I frankly don't have right now, to re-implement what I've already got.
>It's easier for me to just stay put on 4.3.x.
>
>Yes, I realize that in about 2 years or so I will need to do so.  I'll
>worry about that then.
>
>Of course, since the (partial?) functionality is only in 4.4, I really
>have no way to test it to make sure it does what I need, so see what
>I'm
>missing.  I don't have a testbed to play with it, just my one system.
>
>Thanks,
>
>-derek

Actually,
You can use Ansible and 'uri' module to communicate wwith the engine via the
API. Most probably the 'uri' module was written in python - but  you don't have
to deal with python code - just ansible.
Also, it's worth checking the ansible Ovirt modules , as they are kept up to
date evwn when the API endpoint changes.

I think it won't be too hard to get a list of the VMs and then create some
logic how to order them for the 'ignition'.

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov