Hi,

Our company uses Ovirt to host some of its virtual machines. The version used
is 4.2.6.4-1.el7. There are about 36 virtual hosts in it.
The specifications used for the host machine is 30G RAM and 6 CPUs. Some of the
VMs in the ovirt host run with 4 CPUs. Some with 2 CPUs.

The problem I face now is that recently there was a need for high CPU and
memory specs to setup a VM for DR. I created a VM with 16G RAM and 6 CPUs,
without checking the CPUs available in the host first. After DR, the VM was
brought down already. Then later another person in the team brought the VM back
up for a different DR use, for a much larger DB restoration purpose.

This caused the VM to pause due to storage error. And then worse things
happened, whereby 2 other VMs inadvertently went down. Although I assumed that
this was caused by storage errors/problems, the senior admins in the team
concluded that the problem was due to fencing because of the max allotted CPU
for the host being used for the VM.

Now what I need to know is how to properly allocate CPU resources to a host to
run multiple virtual machines in it like the situation above.

I even tried to look for errors in vdsm.log, but this log was not available in
the host machine nor in the affected VM. My colleague asked me to check
"Events" section of the ovirt management interface to see past the past events.
However, I don't find much details about the fencing activity or how the
fencing occurred or what caused the fencing.

And how did they conclude that the CPU count caused the fencing and not the
storage?