From what I have observed, OVA import seems to have two modes:

If the OVA is a 'foreign' format, the ova file needs to be converted and that
conversion effort is then logged into /var/log/vdsm/import on the oVirt node
where in import runs. Import failures are then mostly an issue with the
inability to either open the OVA file itself for writing or perhaps another
temorary file just besides. Under the assumption that the conversion was
running under the UID/GID of vdsm, I ensured that write permissions on file and
directory were given to vdsm:kvm and at that point the conversion ran fine and
spewed plenty of logging output to a file on that path.

Now when the OVA came from an oVirt export, that log file doesn't seem to get
created, at least I never saw something appear there, even after the import had
successfully finished, as per GUI.

But those OVA re-imports where completely buggy, mostly because the export
files seem to be defect, an error I just reported in another post.

For you with a VMware export, things might look more bright, once you sort out
access rights and potentially fs capacity, as the conversion might require
enough temporary space for two copies of the VM, since it seems to only be put
into oVirt storage, after the conversion.