On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 4:04 AM David White via Users <users@ovirt.org> wrote:

> :)
>
> Ok, after all of the questions I've pestered you guys with, I'm actually
> getting started. Thank you all for your help.

Good luck!

> A few of questions right off the bat.
> For this install, I'm installing the latest (4.4.2) onto CentOS 8.
>
> 1) What's the difference between the `ovirt-hosted-engine-setup` command and
> the `engine-setup` command? I ran both of them, and it seems like they do the
> exact same thing.

Please see my reply from a few minutes ago to the thread
"[ovirt-users] ovirt-imageio : can't upload / download".

engine-setup sets up an engine, after it's installed, inside some machine.

ovirt-hosted-engine-setup (or the cockpit UI) sets up a hosted-engine.
It creates a VM and sets up the engine inside it (also using
engine-setup in the process, non-interactively).

> 2) For either of the commands above, I'm able to get as far as the step where
> it asks about the storage: Please specify the storage you would like to use
> (glusterfs, iscsi, fc, nfs)[nfs]
> It's clear to me that using this install method, the storage should be setup
> first / independently of the installer.

There is also "HCI", which cockpit also allows you to setup - storage
is gluster, setup on the same host(s).

> So ok, I'll try the Cockpit install, since the documentation says that's the
> preferred method anyway. (I'm just a sucker for the command line, doing it
> myself, and understanding everything that I'm doing. I like to avoid GUIs if
> I can help it. LOL).

If you do this mainly for learning, then I suggest that you first play
with a standalone engine. Install and setup an engine somewhere (can
be a physical machine or a VM managed e.g. by virt-manager), Add a
host (can be another VM, using nested-kvm), add storage (can be nfs or
iscsi on another VM), create VMs etc., get a feeling for it. Then, try
hosted-engine - using CLI or cockpit - can also be in a VM (again,
nested-kvm).

If it's for production, or in preparation for production, and you do
not have time to play with all the options, spend some time reading
and designing what you intend to do, then do this first on a test
setup (made of VMs) and then on the actual production machines.

> So I logged into the Cockpit Dashboard at {ip-address}:9090, clicked on
> 'Virtualization' then clicked on Hosted Engine. Here, I clicked on
> Hyperconvered, and since I'm just installing to a single host right now, I
> clicked on Run Gluster Wizard for Single Node.

This does setup also storage.

If you meant to say that CLI does not allow setting HCI, then, sadly,
I do not know this well, never tried it myself :-(, but in principle
should be doable - search for "gdeploy".

> So here's my 3rd question.
> 3) I can't get past the first step of this wizard. It is asking for the FQDN
> of the host (Host1).
> - The documentation indicates that this is NOT the base OS, but I've tried
> that
> - I've also tried the IP address that I intend to use for the manager (i.e.
> what I envision is akin to the vCenter IP address for a vSphere environment
> -- correct?)
>
> In both cases, the wizard won't let me proceed, and keeps saying "Host is not
> added to known_hosts"
>
> What am I missing, here? I'm familiar with the known_hosts file... but that's
> the VM / manager that I'm trying to create, I thought? Why does the wizard
> continue to give me that error message?

See also the reply of Parth Dhanjal.

If still not clear/solved, please provide more details - the exact
question, your answer, relevant snippet from the logs.

You can of course replace real names with some placeholders if you do
not want to reveal them.

Good luck and best regards,

> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Didi