I've just tried to verify what you said here.

As a base line I started with the 1nHCI Gluster setup. From four VMs, two
legacy, two Q35 on the single node Gluster, one survived the import, one failed
silently with an empty disk, two failed somewhere in the middle of qemu-img
trying to write the image to the Gluster storage. For each of those two, this
always happened at the same block number, a unique one per machine, not in
random places, as if qemu-img reading and writing the very same image could not
agree. That's two types of error and a 75% failure rate

I created another domain, basically using an NFS automount export from one of
the HCI nodes (a 4.3 node serving as 4.4 storage) and imported the very same
VMs (source all 4.3) transported via a re-attached export domain to 4.4. Three
of the for imports worked fine, no error with qemu-img writing to NFS. All VMs
had full disk images and launched, which verified that there is nothing wrong
with the exports at least.

But there was still one, that failed with the same qemu-img error.

I then tried to move the disks from NFS to Gluster, which internally is also
done via qemu-img, and I had those fail every time.

Gluster or HCI seems a bit of a Russian roulette for migrations, and I am
wondering how much it is better for normal operations.

I'm still going to try moving via a backup domain (on NFS) and moving between
that and Gluster, to see if it makes any difference.

I really haven't done a lot of stress testing yet with oVirt, but this
experience doesn't build confidence.