Yes, I've also posted this on the Gluster Slack. But I am using Gluster mostly
because it's part of oVirt HCI, so don't just send me away, please!

Problem: GlusterD refusing to start due to quorum issues for volumes where it
isn’t contributing any brick

(I've had this before on a different farm, but there it was transitory. Now I
have it in a more observable manner, that's why I open a new topic)

In a test farm with recycled servers, I started running Gluster via oVirt
3node-HCI, because I got 3 machines originally.
They were set up as group A in a 2:1 (replica:arbiter) oVirt HCI setup with
'engine', 'vmstore' and 'data' volumes, one brick on each node.

I then got another five machines with hardware specs that were rather different
to group A, so I set those up as group B to mostly act as compute nodes, but
also to provide extra storage, mostly to be used externally as GlusterFS
shares. It took a bit of fiddling with Ansible but I got these 5 nodes to serve
two more Gluster volumes 'tape' and 'scratch' using dispersed bricks (4
disperse:1 redundancy), RAID5 in my mind.

The two groups are in one Gluster, not because they serve bricks to the same
volumes, but because oVirt doesn't like nodes to be in different Glusters (or
actually, to already be in a Gluster when you add them as host node). But the
two groups provide bricks to distinct volumes, there is no overlap.

After setup things have been running fine for weeks, but now I needed to
restart a machine from group B, which has ‘tape’ and ‘scratch’ bricks, but none
from original oVirt ‘engine’, ‘vmstore’ and ‘data’ in group A. Yet the gluster
daemon refuses to start, citing a loss of quorum for these three volumes, even
if it has no bricks in them… which makes no sense to me.

I am afraid the source of the issue is concept issues: I clearly don't really
understand some design assumptions of Gluster.
And I'm afraid the design assumptions of Gluster and of oVirt (even with HCI),
are not as related as one might assume from the marketing materials on the
oVirt home-page.

But most of all I'd like to know: How do I fix this now?

I can't heal 'tape' and 'scratch', which are growing ever more apart while the
glusterd on this machine in group B refuses to come online for lack of a quorum
on volumes where it is not contributing bricks.