Not to give you any false hope, but when I recently reinstalled my oVirt 4.4.2 cluster, I left the gluster disks alone and only reformatted the OS disks. Much to my surprise, after running the oVirt HCI wizard on this new installation (using the exact same gluster settings as before), the original contents of my gluster-based data domain were still intact.

I certainly wouldn't count on this behavior with any important data, though.

--Mike