On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 2:41 PM Edward Berger <edwber...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As an ovirt user my first reaction reading your message was
> "that is a ridiculously small system to be trying ovirt self hosted engine
> on."
>
> My minimum recommendation is 48GB of RAM dual xeon, since the hosted
> ovirt-engine installation by default
> wants 16GB/4vCPU.  I would use a basic KVM/virt-manager install there instead.
>
> You'll have to provide logs to get more help, but I think you're trying to do
> the wrong thing given the hardware spec.

Edward,

(OT answer)
Actually, oVirt is far more versatile than you seem to think.
I've managed to successfully install oVirt on anything down from a 4
core "desktop" Xeon E3 with 16GB RAM and 4 x 1TB HDD MDRAID with both
localhost NFS and GFS (which is being used to test updates) up to
multiple-node GlusterFS clusters and with >1TB RAM per node and
way-too-many cores.
Granted, when using a desktop machine one must be _very_ careful when
configuring the hosted engine, but once you get it installed, it's
quite resilient.

Oh, and when trying to deploy the hosted engine on a low-end machine,
I'd strongly advise you disable cockpit (to conserve RAM), and use the
console version per [1].

- Gilboa

[1]
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_virtualization/4.2/html/self-hosted_engine_guide/deploying_the_self-hosted_engine_using_the_cli_deploy