There are plenty of other reasons to be running a single-host
Hyperconverged  deployment, in production.  One of them is financial.
Another is for small-scale production systems that don't have the space,
finances, or other resources to run a 3-node system.  Considering it a
"toy" doesn't mean it isn't (or shouldn't be) a supported deployment.

Having a tested upgrade path from EL 7.x/Ovirt 4.3.x to EL 8 / Ovirt 4.4
running on a single system would be extremely useful in those situations.

I do realize that any upgrade of a single-host system is rife with the
dangers of a failed upgrade, and it requires downtime either way.  However
I feel an in-place (yum/dnf) path is "safer" than a "reinstall from
scratch" path.  So having a well-documented path would be ideal.

Thanks!

-derek

PS: While I am LOOKING at expanding my 1-node system to 3, I don't see
that happening any time soon.  And even then, I would need to migrate my
NFS storage to something more distributed like Gluster.  So I suspect I
would need to reinstall the self-hosted engine regardless to change its
storage, and then I can migrate all existing VMs from NFS to Gluster.

On Sat, September 26, 2020 9:00 am, tho...@hoberg.net wrote:
> I can hear you saying: "You did understand that single node HCI is just a
> toy, right?"
>
> For me the primary use of a single node HCI is adding some disaster
> resilience in small server edge type scenarios, where a three node HCI
> provides the fault tolerance: 3+1 with a bit of distance, warm or even
> cold stand-by, potentially manual switch and reduced workload in case
> disaster strikes.
>
> Of course, another 3nHCI would be better, but who gets that type of
> budget, right?
>
> What I am trying say: If you want oVirt to gain market share, try to give
> HCI more love. And while you're at it, try to make expanding from 1nHCI to
> 3nHCI (and higher counts) a standard operational procedure to allow
> expanding a disaster stand-by into a production setup, while the original
> 3nHCI is being rebuilt.
>
> For me low-budget HCI is where oVirt has its biggest competitive advantage
> against vSan and Nutanix, so please don't treat the HCI/gluster variant
> like an unwanted child any more.
>
> In the mean-time OVA imports (from 4.3.10 exports) on my 4.4.2 1nHCI fail
> again, which I'll report separately.

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       de...@ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com