On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 10:22 PM Alex K <rightkickt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems that this is not supported when the switch type of cluster is "Linux
> bridge".
> I will need to use a new cluster with OVS type of switch.
>
> Below the paragraph from [1]:
> 1.2. Physical Networks
>
> It is possible to connect the OVN logical networks to a physical network,
> akin to OpenStack’s physnet
> <https://ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/network/provider-physical-network.html>.
> The traffic on the physical external network can optionally be VLAN tagged.
> Connecting to external networks is *limited* to oVirt clusters configured
> to use *Open vSwitch* switch type, which is currently in tech-preview.
>

> [1]:
> https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-provider-ovn/blob/master/docs/provider_api_description.adoc#security
>
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 9:47 PM Alex K <rightkickt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have created some logical switches at the OVN network provider (the
>> default provider that is configured during engine-setup). This is working
>> fine.
>>
>> I would like though to be able to connect a logical OVN switch to a
>> physical network at which the hosts have access, so as to give access to
>> guest VMs to this network. When connecting such switch to a physical
>> network the guest VMs do not have access to the physical network:
>>
>> [image: image.png]
>> It seems that this should be supported from ovirt. Am I missing something?
>>
>> P.S. I know I can provide such connectivity through standard networking,
>> though was wondering if this can be done with OVN.
>>
>> Many thanx,
>> Alex

Hello Alex,

yes you will need an OvS switch type to have this configured. Few things to
keep in mind:

1) If you are using version 4.3 it should work just.
2) On versions 4.4 however the physnet support was re-enabled from vdsm
version 4.40.37 (4.4.4).
3) With 4.4.4 we are also allowed to change cluster type directly without
the need to reinstall the host. However I would advise you to switch
clusters with only ovirtmgmt attached.
4) Unfortunately there is a NetworkManager bug which might make reboots of
OvS hosts difficult [0].

If you have any questions or problems with the setup let us know.

Thank you.
Regards,
Ales

[0] https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1891437