On 12/8/20 5:30 AM, Magnus Isaksson wrote:
Hi

We have the same issue as you, and we are also using vProtect.
I have no solution, but I'm very interested in how to address this.

Some VM:s we do have managed to remove the illegal snapshots after changing storage for the VM:s disks, but we have 3-4 VM:s that will not want to remove the illegal snapshot.
As for us, this issue has escalated the last couple of months.

Is it only us who have these issues or does people not take backup of their VM:s? Feels like more people should have these issues.

We backup our oVirt VMs just like we backup physical hosts.

With that said, it's a backup system I wrote some 12 years ago.

We're in the process of moving from oVirt to VMware and our home grown backup system has made moving very very easy. I've migrated several VMs across.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Snapshots don't buy you much with regards to integral integrity. They aren't (and never will be) application logic aware (for example). And at the virtual disk level, it obviously becomes even more of "black box".

(I'm mainly answering the question do "people not take backup of their VMs?")