On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 8:17 AM Yedidyah Bar David <d...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 7:33 AM <grig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The installation of the ovirt "hosted-engine" hangs at the stage "[INFO]
> > TASK [ovirt.ovirt.hosted_engine_setup: Wait for the host to be up]"
> > (https://pastebin.com/zvf9T8nP) for 20 minutes, then gives an error "
> > [ERROR] fatal: [localhost]: FAILED! => {"Changed": false, "msg": Host is
> > not up, please check logs, perhaps also on the engine machine "}". At the
> > same time vm with "engine" started, but the installation was not complete.
> >  In the logs on "ovirt-engine vm" https://pastebin.com/95GCVeQp I see that
> > the ansible script searches the host for node02 python2: "2021-03-06
> > 19:42:30 OMST - fatal: [node02.locdomain.local]: FAILED! => {" changed ":
> > false," module_stderr ":" / bin / sh: / usr / bin / python2: No such file
> > or directory \ n "," module_stdout ":" "," msg ":" The module failed to
> > execute correctly, you probably need to set the interpreter. \ nSee stdout
> > / stderr for the exact error "," rc ": 127}"
> > the choice of the version is carried out according to the condition:
> >
> > - name: Detect host operating system
> >   set_fact:
> >     el_ver: "{{ ansible_distribution_major_version|int
> >         if ansible_distribution == 'RedHat' or ansible_distribution ==
> > 'CentOS'
> >         else 0 }}"
> >     fc_ver: "{{ ansible_distribution_major_version|int
> >         if ansible_distribution == 'Fedora'
> >         else 0 }}"
> >
> >   "remote_addr" : "node02.locdomain.local",
> >       "res" : {
> >         "changed" : false,
> >         "ansible_facts" : {
> >           "el_ver" : "0",
> >           "fc_ver" : "0"
> >         },
> > ansible_python_interpreter : "{{ '/usr/bin/python3'
> >    if (fc_ver|int > 0 or el_ver|int >= 8)
> >        else '/usr/bin/python2' }}
> >
> > /etc/os-release
> > NAME="AlmaLinux"
> > VERSION="8.3 (Purple Manul)"
> > ID="almalinux"
> > ID_LIKE="rhel centos fedora"
> > VERSION_ID="8.3"
> > PLATFORM_ID="platform:el8"
> > PRETTY_NAME="AlmaLinux 8.3 RC (Purple Manul)"
> > ANSI_COLOR="0;34"
> > CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:almalinux:almalinux:8.3:rc"
> > HOME_URL="https://almalinux.org/";
> > BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.almalinux.org/";
> >
> > cat /etc/redhat-release
> > AlmaLinux 8.3 RC (Purple Manul)
>
> Nice catch!
>
> Can you please check (I think you can see this in the logs) what ansible says
> ansible_distribution and ansible_distribution_major_version are, for you?

BTW, to clarify:

The answer to the above question should allow a very quick and simple patch that
will fix the _above_ issue.

Assuming that AlmaLinux is compatible enough with RHEL, providing full support
includes at least:

1. Finding all such places and fix them... A first approximation is
searching the
sources for 'centos' (case insensitive), linux_distribution (for python code),
probably a few others.

2. Answering some harder questions, such as what the intention is, regarding
ovirt-appliance and ovirt-node. At some point, I suppose we'll build them
based on CentOS Stream. People that want AlmaLinux (just as an example -
applies similarly to any other RHEL rebuild) for everything, and also want
to have/use appliance/node, probably also want to build them based on
AlmaLinux. This is not just providing some patch for issues like the above one.

3. Also consider non-OS-provided 3rd-party dependencies. Including e.g. wildfly,
gluster, etc. For some of them, the existing builds that oVirt uses for CentOS
might be good enough as-is, but not sure if this covers everything.

Best regards,
--
Didi