Thanks Tomáš,

Actually I hit "Send" too quickly. Are you experiencing the issue after
> VM reboot or even after shutdown? Because NVRAM is kept between reboots
> and is removed only after VM shutdown.

It happens after shutdown and reboot. The VM just goes into a weird state
with "Guest hasn't initialised the display (yet)" error.
If I create another VM with the same configuration and use the same boot
disk it works fine.

So, if it's not NVRAM, I am not sure what could it be which stays with VM
but is not a disk.

Thanks,
shantur