Thanks for your response. From it I deduct that the authentication must happen
from the client not the proxy.

however I am not finding any code in spice-html5 which would confirm this. So
my thinking is that the authentication must happen on the websockify side. From
the websockify docs I can  see some parameters that could help but wonder how
to use them with ovirt.

--cafile=FILE         file of concatenated certificates of authorities
                        trusted for validating clients (only effective with
                        --verify-client). If omitted, system default list of
                        CAs is used.
--auth-plugin=CLASS   use a Python class, usually one from
                        websockify.auth_plugins, such as BasicHTTPAuth, to
                        determine if a connection is allowed
  --auth-source=ARG     an argument to be passed to the auth plugin on
                        instantiation

Obviously I am assuming spice-html5 works with ovirt. Maybe it doesn't. I was
never able to make it work except with direct libvirt over spice.