On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 2:45 PM David White via Users <users@ovirt.org>
wrote:

> Thanks for the response here.
> Unfortunately, things are still not 100% stable after I performed that
> host upgrade.
> It appears to me that 1 of the hosts keeps booting back with the old
> management vlan (VLAN 1) instead of the new vlan (VLAN 10).
>
> I'm able to (mostly) fiddle around with it and get it back online, but it
> seems like every reboot, vlan 1 comes back, and breaks connectivity with
> the other two hosts.
> I also didn't realize, until late yesterday afternoon, that you could use
> the oVirt Manager web UI to configure each host's network settings.
>
> This whole time, I've been trying to use nmcli, nmtui, and manually
> editing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ files by hand.
> When I found the network settings inside of the Engine / manager web UI, I
> discovered that, for example, oVirt Engine manager saw that the new vlan
> (VLAN 10) was "unmanaged" by the engine.
> *Question: *Would you recommend that all network settings be modified by
> the oVirt engine instead of the manual process on the OS?

I think so, but that's not my expertise. Adding Eitan.

> *Question: *Is it possible to setup a vlan inside the engine *without* an
> IP address being assigned to each of the physical hosts?
> I was really hoping to setup VLAN 100 with public IP addresses, and use
> layer 2 switching to send that traffic into the oVirt cluster.

Eitan?

> Here is a screenshot overview of what I want my environment to look like,
> logically. You'll note that I was going to put VLAN 20 and VLAN 100 onto
> the same host physical interface.
> This is what I - and I think the oVirt documentation - refers to as the
> front-end traffic.
> VLAN 10 is/was going to be on its own interface going to the 10Gbps switch.
>
> *Question: *Do you see anything "wrong" with this picture? Are there ways
> I can / should change it to improve?

Eitan?

You might also want to have a look at this
somewhat-outdated-but-still-mostly-relevant document, for RHV, probably
applies 99% to oVirt as well:

https://www.redhat.com/en/resources/best-practice-rhv-technology-detail

> As for the /etc/hosts files, I'm actually doing that.
> However, as I'm typing this, I realized that I never defined the Engine IP
> address in the hosts, nor do I put anything inside the Engine's /etc/hosts
> file.
> *Question: *Perhaps this was part of my problem, when DNS connectivity
> was not working. Thoughts?

Not sure about "general" hosts, but hosted-engine hosts definitely need to
be able to connect to the engine (at least, for making sure it's alive), so
need it to be locally-resolvable. If you plan to run DNS inside a VM, you
definitely want the engine machine's IP in /etc/hosts on all hosted-engine
hosts. And probably have some kind of automation for making sure this is
up-to-date...

Good luck,

> Thanks again,
> David
>
> [image: Screenshot from 2021-04-10 17-21-39.png]
>

> Sent with ProtonMail <https://protonmail.com> Secure Email.

Didi