Hi,
another approach you may consider is to use HA functionality provided by oVirt
which re-create VM on another host if original host become unavailable and
attach the disk from underlying Gluster (which is already HA) to newly created
VM, so you don't have to care about creating HA storage on your VMs. You also
save some resources as you don't have to have backup VMs running.

The drawback of this approach that re-creating new VM takes more time than
switching the traffic to already running VM on load balancer. This depends on
your constraints but IMHO worth to consider.

Vojta