I'm running into the issue described in this thread:
https://lists.ovirt.org/archives/list/users@ovirt.org/message/KT3B6N3UZ3DS3J6FV6OKQAXPNPTLZPOB/

In short, I have ssh to the datacenter. I can ssh to a public IP address with
the "-D 8080" option to forward local port 8080 act as a SOCKS proxy.
I then edit my local computer's proxy settings and set the SOCKS host to 8080.
So this is a system-wide change. I'm not setting the SOCKS proxy in the browser
preferences.
After I do all that, I'm able to use my browser to get to the engine web UI,
and I'm able to login.

However, the console for each VM isn't working.

In the thread I linked to above, Alan says to do this:

2. SSH to the hypervisor tunneling a local port to that remote console port.
3. Click on the console link in the Engine and locally save the vv file.4. Edit
the vv file; change host to localhost and port to whichever port you configured
for the local side of the tunnel.

Question: I'm confused why I need to tunnel a local port to the remote console
port, if I'm already tunneling port 8080 to the host.

Question: I don't have much experience with ssh port forwarding. If I already
have the SOCKS proxy working, how, exactly, would I accomplish step #2?
With the 8080 socks proxy working, I've now tried to run this command: ssh -L
5902:127.0.0.1:5901 username@ovirt-host-ip
And in this case, I'm "assuming" that 5902 is going to listen on my local
computer, and that I need to edit the vv file to connect to 127.0.0.1, port
5902.
That's not working.

Maybe I don't understand how SOCKS proxies work, but I was hoping / under the
impression that all of my network traffic would go through the ssh tunnel on
port 8080, and that vnc would work at that point.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.