I tried again with a 440FX chipset and it still worked fine with VirtIO-SCSI
and the virtual NIC.

I also discovered the other reason I prefer VirtIO-SCSI, which is support for
discard, always appreciated by SSDs.

It would seem that the virtio family of storage and network adapters support
both PCI and PCIe incarnations and whoever assembles the final KVM config does
it right.

Also cross-checked with FreeBSD 12.2 (instead of GhostBSD) and again the
VirtIO-SCSI disk was not recognized, even if VirtIO support seems to have been
added with FreeBSD 11.

I'm afraid that I've exhausted my play-time budget with this, but since I used
to be a fan of BSD (and still love pfSense) it was worth trying.