On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 7:09 PM David Johnson <djohn...@maxistechnology.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I patched one of my Windows VM's yesterday.  I started by snapshotting the
> VM, then applied the Windows update.  Now that the patch has been tested, I
> want to remove the snapshot. I get this message:
>
> Error while executing action:
>
> win-sql-2019:
>
>    - Cannot remove Snapshot. The following attached disks are in ILLEGAL
>    status: win-2019-tmpl_Disk1 - please remove them and try again.
>

> Does anyone have any thoughts how to recover from this? I really don't
> want to keep this snapshot hanging around.

The engine ILLEGAL state means that you started a delete snapshot operation,
and the data in this snapshot has changed. This snapshot cannot be used for
restoring the vm state to the state as it was when the snapshot was created.

In this situation you can retry the delete snapshot operation again. If the
first
delete failed because of a temporary error the operation should succeed and
the snapshot will be deleted.

Nir