Do you get anything in the logs at all? For something like this I would expect it to show in syslog from the kernel.

It really does sound like the E1000E issue, but will probably have a different fix - I first encountered it on a router when I was pushing >100Mbps in *and then back out* the same NIC. Otherwise it wouldn't happen at all. That would explain why it's not an issue in maintenance mode and downloading an image works fine.