In case you decide to try again or for other oVirt users, who see similar
issues....

When 'required' networks for the cluster aren't there, or shared storage is
unreachable, the host is put into non-operational state.

oVirt engine wants to handle the network configs for the hypervisors.
The required networks should be configured in the engine's "setup host
networks" for the new host.

When you add a new hypervisor host to the oVirt cluster, by default it
doesn't set up 'required networks',
and doing things behind the engine's back isn't a good idea because it
doesn't know which logical network
should be connected to which network interface.

If you forget to tell your shared storage to allow access from the new host
it will also cause non-operational state.