From: users-boun...@ovirt.org <users-boun...@ovirt.org> On Behalf Of Tommy
Sway
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 6:58 PM
To: 'Vojtech Juranek' <vjura...@redhat.com>; users@ovirt.org
Subject: [ovirt-users] Re: about the OVF_STORE and the xleases volume

I got it.

Today, oVirt supports importing ISO and Export Storage Domains, however,
there is no support for importing an existing Data Storage Domain. A Data
Storage Domain contains disks volumes and VMs/Templates OVF files. The OVF
file is an XML standard representing the VM/Template configuration including
disks, memory, CPU and more. Based on this information stored in the Storage
Domain we can revive entities such as disks, VMs and Templates in the setup
of any Data Center the Storage Domain will be attached to. The usability of
the feature might be useful for various use cases, here are some of them:

*       Recover after the loss of the oVirt Engine's database.
*       Transfer VMs between setups without the need to copy the data into
and out of the export domain.
*       Support migrating Storage Domains between different oVirt
installations.

Storage Domains that can be restored for VMs/Templates must contain
OVF_STORE disks. Since OVF_STORE disk is only supported from a 3.5v Data
Center, the Storage Domains that can be restored have to be managed in a
3.5v Data Center before the disaster. As long as the setup contains 3.5v
Data Centers, the Import Storage Domain feature will automatically be
supported for those Data Centers.