I just upgraded the HE to 4.4.8.6 and rebooted it.  I still cannot upgrade the
cluster compatibility level.  Cannot edit properties of the HE either.

Error I receive when trying to update the compatibility level:
Error while executing action: Cannot update cluster because the update
triggered update of the VMs/Templates and it failed for the following:
HostedEngine. To fix the issue, please go to each of them, edit, change the
Custom Compatibility Version (or other fields changed previously in the cluster
dialog) and press OK. If the save does not pass, fix the dialog validation.
After successful cluster update, you can revert your Custom Compatibility
Version change (or other changes). If the problem still persists, you may refer
to the engine.log file for further details.

Error I receive when trying to edit the HE properties:
There was an attempt to change Hosted Engine VM values that are locked.

This is becoming very annoying.  Updating is an hours-long process in my
environment and has now failed twice.