3.1.4.2 Configuring Huge Pages

You can configure a virtual machine for high performance, so that it runs with
performance metrics as close to bare metal as possible. When you choose high
performance optimization, the virtual machine is configured with a set of
automatic and recommended manual settings for maximum efficiency. By using huge
pages, you increase the page size which reduces the page table, reduces the
pressure on the Translation Lookaside Buffer cache, and improves performance.

Huge pages are pre-allocated when a virtual machine starts to run (dynamic
allocation is disabled by default).

**** Are Virtual machines mentioned here with high performance option ? So they
turn off transparent huge pages by default and use traditional huge pages
instead ??

**** Most normal virtual machines use large transparent pages by default in
their operating systems.

Note

If you configure huge pages for a virtual machine, you cannot hotplug or hot
uplug memory.

To configure huge pages:

1.      In the Custom Properties tab, select hugepages from the custom
properties list, which displays Please select a key…​ by default.
2.      Enter the huge page size in KB.

You should set the huge page size to the largest size supported by the pinned
host. The recommended size for x86_64 is 1 GB.

The huge page size has the following requirements:

*       The virtual machine’s huge page size must be the same size as the
pinned host’s huge page size.
*       The virtual machine’s memory size must fit into the selected size of
the pinned host’s free huge pages.
*       The NUMA node size must be a multiple of the huge page’s selected size.

To enable dynamic allocation of huge pages:

1.      Disable the HugePages filter in the scheduler.
2.      In the [performance] section in /etc/vdsm/vdsm.conf set the following:

use_dynamic_hugepages = true

****  what kind of hugepage it is ?  Tradition Hugepages or Transparent
Hugepages ?  And it is archived by VDSM ??

**** I’m really get confused.