On Thu, Feb 03, 2022 at 03:07:20PM +0200, Nir Soffer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2022 at 2:30 PM Richard W.M. Jones <rjo...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >

> > I'm following the instructions here:
> > https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_virtualization/4.2/html/administration_guide/sect-preparing_and_adding_posix_compliant_file_system_storage
> >
> > I've also added an extra virtual disk to my host node which appears as
> > /dev/sdb.  Although the disk is partitioned, /dev/sdb1 is not created.
> > Is udev broken in oVirt node?
> >
> > I cannot see anywhere in the dialog where you specify the name of the
> > device (eg. "/dev/sdb1").  So how's it supposed to work?
> >
> > It doesn't work, giving an information-free error message:
> >
> >   Error while executing action Add Storage Connection: Problem while trying
> > to mount target
>
> You can find more info on the failure in:
> /var/log/vdsm/supervdsmd.log

vdsm.storage.mount.MountError: Command ['/usr/bin/mount', '-t', 'xfs', '/srv',
'/rhev/data-center/mnt/_srv'] failed with rc=32 out=b'' err=b'mount:
/rhev/data-center/mnt/_srv: /srv is not a block device.\n'

I suppose it expects the name of the block device (ie. /dev/sdb)
rather than the mount point there.

It also turns out the new device has been "captured" by multipathd:

# multipath -ll
0QEMU_QEMU_HARDDISK_drive-scsi0-0-0-1 dm-0 QEMU,QEMU HARDDISK
size=100G features='1 queue_if_no_path' hwhandler='0' wp=rw
`-+- policy='service-time 0' prio=1 status=active
  `- 0:0:0:1 sdb 8:16 active ready running

I've so far not found a way to disable multipathd effectively.  Even
stopping and disabling the service and rebooting doesn't help so I
guess something starts it up.

> Posix compliant is basically NFS without some mount options:
> https://github.com/oVirt/vdsm/blob/878407297cb7dc892110ae5d6b0403ca97249247/lib/vdsm/storage/storageServer.py#L174
>
> Using a local device on a host is less tested path, I'm not QE is testing
> this (Avihai, please correct me if you do).
>
> If you have multiple hosts, this will break if the local device does not have
> the same name on all hosts (so using /dev/sdb1 is very fragile). If you have
> one host it can be fine.
>
> Any reason to add a device to the vm, instead of using an NFS server?
>
> I guess that your purpose is testing virt-v2v with oVirt, so you want to test
> a common configuration; NFS is very common for oVirt users.

I don't have an NFS server to use for this.

Rich.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v