Il giorno lun 7 feb 2022 alle ore 00:15 Patrick Hibbs <
hibbsncc1...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> I wouldn't mind doing some testing. I have a little coding experience but
> it's mostly on the desktop (Application) side of things not Web. Although
> if it meant getting a proper certificate management UI I'd be willing do
> it. (I've been thinking about rolling up my sleeves for that exact purpose
> anyway.)
>
> The main issue as I see it is two fold:
>
> 1. We don't have all of the needed sources to rebuild ovirt from scratch.
> I.e. We're missing the oVirt Node build scripts.

Replied about this just a minute ago:
https://lists.ovirt.org/archives/list/users@ovirt.org/message/LLKJKW22FAYPY2GOGNHXVABKSIWT7IMG/
In addition to that, I would be happy to peer with you (or find someone if
I'm too busy) if you step in and offer to build node and maintain it for
your $preferred_distribution as we have a peer program offer to help
whoever wants to step in:
https://lists.ovirt.org/archives/list/users@ovirt.org/message/QQVZHTFBF7NVI67PYW2EY2HV5FSIBVF3/

> Further, we also don't have a complete set of SRPMs. I've tried getting
> them for backup / disaster recovery issues, and it's a huge pain to track
> them all down from the various repos that are involved. Keep in mind that
> was *before* RH started archiving repos so it's probably even harder now.
> (Note: You can't just do "reposync --source" that's been broken for years
> because CentOS didn't want to rebuild their package lists to include them
> automaticly. Some of them are on vault.centos.org, but some are not.
> Tracking down the third party repos oVirt uses is also difficult for the
> same reason.) Does anyone have a link to the complete set of source
> packages outside of oVirt's dev team?

All src.rpm for ovirt and its dependencies are publicly available, if you
dont' find something feel free to ask and we'll point you to the src.rpm.

> [...]
> my vote to retain the GlusterFS support if it's avaiable on the hosts. I
> was already using GlusterFS 9 packages in oVirt 4.3 and CentOS 7 so I could
> connect a set of raspberry pi 4 bricks to the engine. So it's not like the
> support cannot exist if RH doesn't provide the packages for it. (Fun home
> experiment. Turns out it works just fine. I can easily run 20+ VMs
> concurrently with this setup, and it pays for itself via the electric bill
> as a bonus.)
>
> -Patrick Hibbs
>
> On Sun, 2022-02-06 at 19:07 +0000, David White via Users wrote:
>
> At the risk of sounding like a Red Hat or IBM fanboy, I have decided to
> give Red Hat the benefit of the doubt here, and to not make any decisions
> about switching off of oVirt until and unless an official announcement is
> made.
>
> In the meantime, I know that I need to move off of Gluster (and I made
> that decision before the Gluster announcement), and I would need storage
> with any other solution anyway, so that's where I'm going to focus my own
> efforts.
>
> In the meantime, while I realize that the optics of a company like IBM /
> Red Hat shutting a project like oVirt down looks bad to the FOSS community,
> I'm going to push back a little bit. We have had access to a FOSS
> application that obviously works for a lot of people. No company is
> required to provide their services for free, and likewise, I'm of the
> opinion that one needs to be willing to pay (or contribute in some way) for
> a quality product service. It reminds me of the mantra: "Fast, Cheap, Free
> - pick two".
>
> So here's an alternative perspective: What can the community contribute
> and do in order to keep the project going? Anyone could fork it, rebrand
> it, and run with it.
>
> I claim to be a software developer, and the uplink in my datacenter is
> only 100mbps right now (of course I can increase it when needed), so I
> doubt I could provide much value in terms of hosting or coding.
>
> But I do know security. I'm a Linux systems engineer with over 10 years of
> experience. I know website content management systems. And people have told
> me that I'm good at documentation. So I think I have a lot of skill sets
> that I could "offer" (albeit I don't have much time, and as we all know,
> time is money. I've been dealing with a serious personal matter since
> beginning of December, and I'm effectively an acting single parent at the
> moment).
>
> I'll end this the way I started: I'm going to wait to see what happens
> before I personally make any decisions to change my entire underlying
> virtualization infrastructure. In the meantime, I'll continue to work on
> what I can control - the underlying storage. And if oVirt does shutdown in
> the future, I'd love to have a conversation with anyone interested in
> helping out to fork the project and keep it running.

Sandro Bonazzola

MANAGER, SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, EMEA R&D RHV

Red Hat EMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>

sbona...@redhat.com
<https://www.redhat.com/>

*Red Hat respects your work life balance. Therefore there is no need to
answer this email out of your office hours.*