On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 7:57 AM Glen Jarvis via Users <users@ovirt.org> wrote:

> I am researching how to contribute to the oVirt community. I started here:
>
> https://www.ovirt.org/community/
>
> And, I immediately saw to sign up for this email address and...send us an
> email saying how you would like to contribute. Visit our mailing lists page
> for other oVirt mailing lists to sign up for.
>

> My answers are: I want to be useful (and give more than I take). I can answer
> questions on mailing lists, help troubleshoot, write ovirt.ovirt Ansible
> collections, roles and custom modules. I am a seasoned Python programmer.
>
> My background:
>  - Python programmer for 10+ years
>  - I write custom Ansible modules, roles, playbook, etc.
>  - Previous DBA for Informix (highly certified but who has heard of informix
> anymore). Postgres and Informix are cousins (both offspring from Ingres)
>   - I have *some* rudimentary knowledge of Virtualization. However, I'm far
> from an expert
>   - One of my favorite OS's is Qubes (an OS of virtual machines really)
>   - I do a lot of technical training (writing materials and facilitating
> classes)
>   - I work in an SRE / SysAd role at a large company that puts music in
> peoples ears (I'm hoping to move some of this from less SysAd and more SRE
> when with some of this oVirt stuff we're working on).
>
> My intermediate skills
>    - I have bought a book on libvirt. But, it's still on my backlog. It feels
> that I'm always sucking an ocean through a straw so I have to pick and choose
> what I read next
>     - My second favorite OS is Ubuntu as my main desktop (Qubes on separate
> computer for more secure stuff -- like crypto)
>     - I'm just starting to use Virtual Machine Manager to run other OSs on
> Ubuntu
>
> My Oh-I-have-No-Idea skills:
>    - things like luns, iSCSI and the `vdsm-tool config-lvm-filter` are making
> me pull my hair out.

I would like to know why "vdsm-tool config-lvm-filter" makes you pull
your hair out.

It was designed to help people configure their system correctly without
pulling their hair out trying to understand how lvm filter works, and avoid
the many wrong ways it can be used.

> This is the reason I was frustrated enough to say "Let me join this community
> so I can learn more how this architecture works."
>    - I work for a large company that has a RedHat support contract. We use
> RHV. I just wrote up this long descriptive case of the problem, uploaded
> sosreports, added as much detail as I could. But, it's crickets. If I knew
> more I could debug what was happening more myself.
>

> How did I do for an introduction?

Great!

Do you have some specific areas you would like to improve?

Nir