On Mon, 14 Feb 2022, Thomas Hoberg wrote:

Xen nodes are much more autonomous then oVirt hosts. The use whatever storage they might have locally, or attached via SAN/NAS/Gluster[!!!] and others. They will operate without a management engine
[...]
Any shared storage added to any node is immediately visible to the pool and disks can be flipped between local and shared storage very easily

It may be worth pointing out that these are not limitations of libvirt (which can even live-migrate VMs between non-shared storage), but only of oVirt. The impression I've got from this mailing list is they are intentional design decisions to enforce "correctness" of the cluster.

I do feel like it comes up often enough on the mailing list that it would be nice if there was a way to designate a multi-host cluster as having both local and shared storage. I think the flexibility would help those running dev or small prod clusters. Maybe someone just needs to step up and write a patch for it?