Le 21 févr. 2022 08:31, Sandro Bonazzola <sbona...@redhat.com> a écrit :

Il giorno dom 20 feb 2022 alle ore 22:47 Nathanaël Blanchet <blanc...@abes.fr> ha scritto:
Hello, Is okd/openshift virtualization designed to be a full replacement of ovirt/redhat by embedding the same level of advanced

oVirt is a very mature project, integrated with most of the Red Hat ecosystem, mostly being maintained without any new big features.
It has live-snapshot, live-storage-migration, memory overcommit management, passthrough of a very specific PCI device on a particular host, a VM portal, OpenShift IPI.
It lacks integrated container management.

OKD Virtualization is being very actively developed quickly closing gaps.
It has integrated container management, ability to leverage the k8s distributed architecture/infrastructure and to leverage k8s assets like exclusive CPU placements.
It currently lacks live-snapshot, live-storage-migration, memory overcommit management, passthrough of a very specific PCI device on a particular host, VM portal (OKD UI is more similar to Admin portal), thin-provisioning (of VMs on top of templates), hot (un)plug (disk/memory/NIC), high availability with VM leases, incremental backup, VDI features like template versions, sealing (virt-sysprep).

So OKD is not feature complete replacement for oVirt yet.
So okd virtualization aims to be a replacement in the next years when all ovirt features will be achivied for kubvirt, that's why ovirt continue to be maintained for the moment, great new!
Openshift IPI being also maintained is a great new because bare metal okd installation is not as easy as ovirt is (even I know we need bare metal to consume okd virtualization). Can you confirm we can merge bare metal and virtualized core is hosts? Is nested virtualization available?

--

Sandro Bonazzola

MANAGER, SOFTWARE ENGINEERING, EMEA R&D RHV

Red Hat EMEA

sbona...@redhat.com

Red Hat respects your work life balance. Therefore there is no need to answer this email out of your office hours.