Thank you both. This is certainly good information.

If I'm going to jump to a different backing store, now it's the time to do
it. But I'm not going to jump simply for the sake of jumping.

The nfs issue was reproduced at redhat on a storage appliance other than
truenas (QNAP I believe), so I am leaning away from nfs, at least until I
see something that indicates this has been fixed.

As I read these notes, and others on a TrueNAS forum, it is beginning to
look like truenas may not necessarily be the best choice for a backing
store for ovirt in my environment. TrueNAS iSCSI (more specifically the
underlying ZFS) struggles with heavy write usage with small block sizes,
and the entire intent of my cluster is to write massive amounts of data as
fast as possible.

My storage server is a superMicro. Today it runs TrueNAS, but I can change
that if the benefit is there. I note that OpenStack prefers Cinder.

More research coming ...