Hi All,

OK, so after much reading of logs, Ansible files, blog posts, documentation,
and much gnashing of teeth, glasses of bourbon, language to make a sailor
blush, tears, blood, sweat, and various versions of "DOH!", I finally worked
out what was wrong - what I did wrong - and so I'm putting it down here so that
the next person who comes along with the same (or a similar) issue doesn't have
to go through what I went through - and I'm including a couple of suggestions
to the devs/doco writers which (I believe) would have stopped me from making my
mistake in the first place.

When I did my install I used the command:

~~~
    hosted-engine --deploy --4
--ansible-extra-vars=he_ipv4_subnet_prefix=172.16.1
~~~

I did this because we're running an IPv4 network and because the oVirt Engine
needs to be on the 172.16.1.0/24 network - and that's what I thought the
"he_ipv4_subnet_prefix" option did, and I was trying to let the deployment
script know this in advance instead of having to discover this itself.

Now that I've gone back over *all* the doco I realise that the
"he_ipv4_subnet_prefix" option is *not* used for this purpose, but is instead
used for the *temporary* ip address of the deployment engine when the default
subnet of 192.168.222.0/24 is not available.

Because I was specifying the 172.16.1.0/24 network (which is already in use)
the deployment failed because it was attempting to create that network as a
temporary network for the initial deployment.

So yes, as I said, my fault - no question about that at all.

Some suggestions:

Although it is stated in the documentation - Installing oVirt As A Self-Hosted
Engine Using The Command Line, section 2.3.2
(https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/installing_ovirt_as_a_self-hosted_engine_using_the_command_line/index.html#Network-range-for-SHE-deployment_SHE_cli_deploy)
 - (I believe) it is not very clear what is happening here, so a "Note:" or
some sort of statement explicitly stating what this is used for might be in
order. For example, here is the note I made for our team in our internal
documentation:

~~~
    **Note:** he_ipv4_subnet_prefix=x.x.x: - This is a temporary network prefix
if 192.168.222.0/24 (the default) is not available - this is ***NOT*** the
final working subnet of the oVirt Engine.
~~~

I also believe - quite strongly, in fact - that having the entire deployment
hidden behind the "black box" that is the Ansible deployment - while making
things easy by automating the deployment - makes troubleshooting more
difficult. I believe that if there was a definite "Step-By-Step" list of what
was going on behind the scenes - perhaps as an Appendix to the documentation -
then the mistake I made would have been a lot harder to make - ie if there was
such a list then it would have been less likely to make the assumption I made.

I'm thinking something along the lines of (and I am aware that what follows is
not correct):

~~~
1. Collect info - this is stored in "/path/file" temporarily.
2. Install Deployment VM.
3. Deployment VM creates internal bridge - this uses 192.168.222.0/24 by
default but can be overridden by "he_ipv4_subnet_prefix".
4. Deployment Engine creates oVirt Engine.
etc, etc, etc
~~~

Anyway, that's my feedback / suggestions / mea culpa / whatever.  :-)

Cheers

Dulux-Oz