In my experience OVA exports and imports saw very little QA, even within oVirt
itself, right up to OVA exports full of zeros on the last 4.3 release (in
preparation for a migration to 4.4).

The OVA format also shows very little practical interoperatbility, I've tried
and failed in pretty much every direction between VMware, oVirt/RHV,
VirtualBox, Xcp-ng and Proxmox.

So transporting the disk images and recreating the machine is certainly the
more promising option and something that I've used myself, where the guest OS
was ready to accept that.

Sparse images are another issue, as you have noticed, especially since the
normal upload/import interfaces love to expand them. So if there is any
resizing to be done, best do it once the disk image is inside oVirt, not before.

Migrating (handcrated) images has been regarded as being inferior to automated
builds to such a degree, that QA seems to have completely abandoned any effort
there, long before oVirt was abandoned itself.