Redhat's decision to shut down RHV caught Oracle pretty unprepared, I'd guess,
who had just shut down their own vSphere clone in favor of a RHV clone a couple
of years ago.

Oracle is even less vocal about their "Oracle Virtualization" strategy, they
don't even seem to have a proper naming convention or branding.

But they have been pushing out OV releases without a publicly announced EOL
almost a year behind Redhat for the last years.

And after a 4.4 release in September 22, a few days ago on December 12th
actually a release 4.5 was made public.

I've operated oVirt 4.3 with significant quality issues for some years and
failed to make oVirt 4.4 work with any degree of acceptable stability but
Oracle's variant of 4.4 proved to be rather better than 4.3 on CentOS7 with no
noticable bugs, especially in the Hyperconverged setup that I am using with
GlusterFS.

I assumed that this was because Oracle based their 4.4 in fact on RHV 4.4 and
not oVirt, but since they're not telling, who knows?

One issue with 4.4 was that Oracle is pushing their UE-Kernel and that created
immediate issues e.g. with VDO missing modules for UEK and other stuff, but
that was solved easily enough by using the RHEL kernel.

With 4.5 Oracle obviously can't use RHV 4.5 as a base, because there is no such
thing with RHV declared EOL and according to Oracle their 4.5 is based on oVirt
4.5.4, which made the quality of that release somewhat questionable, but
perhaps they have spent the year that has passed since productively killing
bugs... only to be caught by surprise again, I presume, by an oVirt release
4.5.5 on December 1st, that no one saw coming!

Long story slightly shorter, I've been testing Oracle's 4.5 variant a bit and
it's not without issues.

But much worse, Oracle's variant of oVirt seems to be entirely without any
community that I could find.

Now oVirt has been a somewhat secret society for years, but compared to what's
going on with Oracle this forum is teaming with life!

So did I just not look around enough? Is there a secret lair where all those OV
users are hiding?

Anyhow, here is what I've tested so far and where I'd love to have some
feedback:

1. Setting up a three node HCI cluster from scratch using OL8.9 and OV 4.5

Since I don't have extra physical hardware for a 3 node HCI I'm using VMware
workstation 17.5 on a Workstation running Windows 2022, a test platform that
has been working for all kinds of virtualization tests from VMware ESXi, via
Xcp-ng and ovirt.

Created three VMs with OL8.9 minimal and then installed OV 4.5. I used the UEK
default kernels and then had an issue when Ansible is trying to create the
(local) management engine: the VM simply could not reach the Oracle repo
servers to install the packages inside the ME. Since that VM is entirely under
the control of Ansible and no console access of any type is possible in that
installation phase, I couldn't do diagnostics.

But with 4.4 I used to have similar issues and there switching back to the
Redhat kernel for the ME (and the hosts) resolved them.

But with 4.5 it seems that UEK has become a baked-in dependency: the OV team
doesn't even seem to do any testing with the Redhat kernel any more. Or not
with the HCI setup, which has become deprecated somewhere in oVirt 4.4... Or
not with the Cockpit wizard, which might be in a totally untested state, or....

Doing the same install on OL 8.9 with OV 4.4, however, did work just fine and I
was even able to update to 4.5 afterwards, which was a nice surprise...

...that I could not repeat on my physical test farm using three Atoms. There
switching to the UEK kernel on the hosts caused issues, hosts were becoming
unresponsive, file systems inaccessible, even if they were perfectly fine at
the Gluster CLI level and in the end the ME VM simply would not longer start.
Switching back to the Redhat kernel resolved things there.

In short, switching between the Redhat kernel and UEK, which should be 100%
transparent to all things userland including hypervisors, doesn't work.

But my attempts to go with a clean install of 4.5 on a Redhat kernel or UEK is
also facing issues. So far the only thing that has worked was a single node HCI
install using UEK and OV 4.5 and upgrading to OV 4.5 on a virtualized triple
node OV 4.4 HCI cluster.

Anyone else out there trying these things?

I was mostly determined to move to Proxmox VE, but Oracle's OV 4.5 seemed to be
handing a bit of a life-line to oVirt and the base architecture is just much
more powerful (or less manual) than Proxmox, which doesn't have a management
engine.