Are you running on a headless system, such as a server? If so, you probably
don’t have any fonts installed. Even though you’re just doing text extraction,
this matters because the dimensions of the characters need to be taken into
account and many PDFs do not embed the fonts which they depend on.

At a bare minimum I’d recommend installing the liberation fonts and whichever
Microsoft fonts are available in your distribution’s package manager.

— John