Please be aware that memory consumption doesn't mean anything if you're not getting an out of memory exception.

PDFBox does a lot of "soft" / "weak" caching to speed up things. These resources are released when memory is needed.

I suggest you set a -Xmx value and then test whether your files files work or not.

Tilman