When memory is high and fill all capacity, manager of memory of the
operational system usage cache of the disk and process slows down.

No have error of memory exception, have high consumption of the memory
using awt BufferedImage.

In my example pdf go more 700 mega into memory with awt and with javaFX
using GraphicsContext this memory less 200  mega.

my application usage parameter -Xmx, and my suggestion is to port pdfbox to
JavaFX.