If you just want to render fonts on a JavaFX canvas, you'll need to create
your own renderer.  I'm not sure how much help this will be to you, but I
ported FontBox to work on Codename One.  The process for porting it to
JavaFX canvas would be similar.  My project is here:

https://github.com/shannah/CN1FontBox

By looking at the commits, and comparing to the mainline FontBox sources
you can probably piece together what would need to be done.

Steve