2018-09-10 09:54:18 UTC - Matti-Pekka Laaksonen: The same thing happens when
listing clusters. Only one in three requests returns my cluster name, others
nothing
----
2018-09-10 09:57:55 UTC - Matti-Pekka Laaksonen: Is the broker advertised
address supposed to be the private subnet IP address the other nodes in the
cluster can locate the host on?
----
2018-09-10 09:58:21 UTC - Matti-Pekka Laaksonen: So in my case 10.60.1.5,
10.60.1.6, 10.60.1.7 for brokers
----
2018-09-10 11:16:25 UTC - Matti-Pekka Laaksonen: Ok, seems to be that the main
problem is with Zookeeper. When I run "sudo bin/pulsar zookeeper-shell -server
<zk-instance-ip> ls /admin/clusters", only one zk instance returns the
cluster name, others return an empty array
----
2018-09-10 11:49:45 UTC - Matti-Pekka Laaksonen: Alright. There has been some
confusion if the Zookeeper configuration file is "zoo.cfg" or "zookeeper.conf".
I had it named "zoo.cfg", but a "zookeeper.conf" already exists in the
/opt/pulsar/conf folder alongside the zoo.cfg. This caused Zookeeper to use the
default configs
----
2018-09-10 11:50:07 UTC - Matti-Pekka Laaksonen: I now corrected the config
file name and everything works perfectly
----
2018-09-10 15:26:49 UTC - Jon Bock: @Matti-Pekka Laaksonen Glad to see it’s now
working for you.  Let us know if there’s any additional help that you need.
----
2018-09-10 18:41:46 UTC - Sravan Tatikonda: @Sravan Tatikonda has joined the
channel
----
2018-09-10 21:27:53 UTC - Natty: <!here> I’m trying to do a little bit of
performance base-lining. I’m using a standalone cluster, which I know is going
to be less than optimal, but was just trying to get some super basic numbers on
what I might expect for throughput performance across a topic
----
2018-09-10 21:28:03 UTC - Natty: and not sure what the fastest way is to just
dump messages into a pulsar topic
----
2018-09-10 21:28:25 UTC - Natty: i was trying the `pulsar-client produce` cli
tool
----
2018-09-10 21:28:31 UTC - Natty: but it seems to be very slow
----
2018-09-10 21:28:48 UTC - Natty: taking ~4 seconds to write 1000 records
----
2018-09-10 21:29:08 UTC - Sijie Guo: @Natty try pulsar-perf
----
2018-09-10 21:29:26 UTC - Natty: ah! I missed that one
----
2018-09-11 02:40:34 UTC - annette: @annette has joined the channel
----
2018-09-11 06:17:56 UTC - Inilien: @Inilien has joined the channel
----
2018-09-11 07:01:23 UTC - Inilien: Hi! After reading the docummentation and
<http://streaml.io|streaml.io> posts I've got very excited about Apacha Pulsar.
But from what I've gathered there is no easy way to use it with existing open
source applications (such as Elasticsearch Filebeat for example). Mostly they
provide support for Kafka but not for Pulsar. I read about Kafka Wrapper
<https://pulsar.apache.org/docs/en/adaptors-kafka/> but, if only I am not very
much mistaken, one is supposed to recompile each application by himself which
is very cumbersome. Is it possible to add support for Kafka API in the Pulsar
itself (maybe with some limitations)? I imagine this would ease the switch from
Kafka to Pulsar quite a lot.
----
2018-09-11 07:17:50 UTC - Sijie Guo: @Inilien

&gt; But from what I’ve gathered there is no easy way to use it with existing
open  source applications (such as Elasticsearch Filebeat for example).

We are concurrently growing the community. Expect to see more and  more systems
integrated with Pulsar soon. Regarding ElasticSearch, we have an elastic search
connector just checked in, will be released as part of upcoming 2.2 release.

&gt; one is supposed to recompile each application by himself which is very
cumbersome.

yeah, current it requires the application to replace the kafka jar with the
pulsar-kafka-wrapper jar.

&gt; Is it possible to add support for Kafka API in the Pulsar itself (maybe
with some limitations)?

There is actually a discussion of providing some sort of messaging
gateway/proxy to support Kafka protocol. so Kafka applications can easily
migrate to Pulsar without code change. The effort is still under discussion. We
are not sure what is the community demand for this feature. If the
community/user demand is high, we will prioritize it.
----
2018-09-11 07:30:04 UTC - Inilien: &gt; We are not sure what is the community
demand for this feature.
Is there an issue request on the github people can upvote? I coudn't find one.
At least for me, this feature is the last barrier preventing me from choosing
Pulsar over Kafka.
----
2018-09-11 07:55:50 UTC - Sijie Guo: @Inilien the discussion was offline. let
me create an issue and share it here. so people can comment on it.
+1 : Inilien
----
2018-09-11 08:06:54 UTC - Sijie Guo: @Inilien
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-pulsar/issues/2556>
+1 : Inilien
----
2018-09-11 08:09:06 UTC - Sijie Guo: Here, if you have any ideas or
requirements for Kafka support in Pulsar, it would be great that you can share
your thoughts in the issue. so we can collect all the feedback.
----