I tested the ACL method (deny mode) and it does work.
"acl allow <user/group> create queue  policytype=ring"
(All though if you use "allow" mode it will not work as the default
value for queue policy is empty and it's not allowed to be specified
in ACL at the moment).

Having a configurable default queue policy type will be very
convenient as a user does not have to specify it explicitly.
But as Jakub points out even if you configure a default, a user could
overwrite it if they want.
So having the ACL rule will prevent that.

Regards,

Rajith