On 09/16/2011 09:42 AM, Jiri Krutil wrote:
Hi Fraser

When I call Message.toString(), I see a list of all non-string properties,
but there is no trace of the string properties I have set in C++.
I think the difference in behaviour that we see could be explained by
different versions of the C++ client or broker or Java client.

I was experimenting with Variant.setEncoding() on the sending side, as
Gordon suggested, but to no avail. Unfortunatelly there is no documentation
for this function, so it's hard to guess what the supported encodings are.
(I was trying encodings "str8" and "UTF-8", but this did not help. My string
only contains plain 7-bit ASCII characters.)

Yes, sorry about that, it does need addressed. The encoding you want is utf8 (also recognised are utf16, binary and iso-8859-15).

By the way if the property value cannot be treated as a String in Java, I
still don't see why is it not at least made available as a byte array.

Let's wait and see if Gordon has something to say on this...

Could you get a broker trace for a simple send and receive of such a message? That might shed a clue at least as to which side the issue is on.