On 12/09/2011 05:15 PM, Fraser Adams wrote:
These examples are great, however I have to admit that I find the
"cwiki.apache.org/confluence/" hard to find. It's only because I
bookmarked a link you previously sent on
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Qpid+extensions+to+AMQP
that I ever made it there at all.

I think that my preference would be for these examples and the info on
the x-declare to be included in the Programming in Apache Qpid book,
which seems to be becoming somewhat of the canonical reference book.
What do you think?

I wouldn't consider these addressing examples as canonical reference material! The Programming in Apache Qpid book is a bit of a mixture of things. I'm not yet sure if or how these would fit in with that. In the meantime I wanted to at least have somewhere where we could start collecting 'recipes'.

[...]
Finally Re (from the addressing examples page) "Another use case for
more complex addresses is where shared queues are to be created on
demand, conforming to a specific configuration. My own advice is to
think carefully about whether this is needed in any given situation or
whether a static configuration might be more appropriate. However for
those who feel they require it,"

I've noticed you're views on this in some of your other posts on the
mailing list and I'm really curious as to your reasoning behind it.

I distinguish between on-demand creation of *shared* queues and/or exchanges as addressable entities in their own right and the very necessary on-demand (and hopefully increasingly transparent) creation of 'subscription' queues as required by the AMQP 0-10 model.

With regard to the former, my opinion is simply that it is worth considering carefully whether it is required. If it is not, keeping the configuration entirely separate from the clients has advantages and static creation avoids any race conditions.

I certainly accept that having no durable record of queue configuration (as distinct from having the messages on them persisted) is an unfortunate limitation.