I don't suppose anyone has had any more thoughts on this.

Unfortunately sorting out our network problem hasn't resolved this issue, it does take a lot longer for the broker memory to grow but unfortunately it still does.

As I say below we've got a 0.8 qpid::client producer delivering to amq.match on a broker co-located on the same host which is federated to another 0.8 broker (all brokers are c++) via a source queue route.

One weird thing: As an experiment we kept the general topology the same but we moved the first broker on to its own host "just to see", so we've got the producer on one host writing to amq.match on a broker now on a different host with that broker federated to the core broker as before. We've had that running for days now and the brokers all seem to be stable!!!

Has anyone seen circumstances that could cause brokers to appear to leak memory when co-located with a producer but be fine when run on a separate host??

I don't believe that there are any significant differences in the dependent libraries on each host, but I couldn't swear to it is anyone aware of stability issues say with particular versions of boost and qpid or indeed any other library.

Annoyingly I've never noticed things like this in my set up at home, just at work where it matters more and I've got deadlines to meet :-(

Can anyone think of a good way to "profile" our hosts to verify that they should be able to run qpid with no issues? I always build from source at home (that has its own issues on Ubuntu!!!!) but at work I believe qpid had been installed from RPMs I'm not clear on the provenance of the RPMs though I'm a bit suspicious of them they don't appear to have many dependency checks (for example it didn't barf when SASL wasn't present but that seems necessary even with --auth no).

So one possibility for the carnage I'm seeing is some hosts might have slightly different versions of dependent libraries hence why I'd like to know in a systematic manner what to check for.

On a related note is anyone aware of any differences in behaviour relating to hardware/chipset? All of our hosts are running RHEL but they are a mix of hardware - all Intel but varying numbers of cores and chipsets.

I'm getting a bit desperate now there are project managers with cattle prods heading my way :-(

heeeeelllllpppp!!!
Frase