If you are using code based on that driver example you will need to
put in some non-blocking SSL into the IO handling path. Check out the
transport.ssl() bits for one such approach. I think the only 'example'
of using that will be in the old Messenger code, you can track its
usage back to see that.

Alternatively you could as I've mentioned before
also look at integrating with an existing IO framework, or even
leverage an existing integration of the proton engine, such that it
can also handle all the SSL stuff for you itself.