On 11/23/2016 09:14 AM, Ganesh Murthy wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robbie Gemmell" <robbie.gemm...@gmail.com>
To: users@qpid.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 7:58:48 AM
Subject: Re: Qpid Proton/Dispath trace : correlate connection identifier and
remote IP/port

On 23 November 2016 at 08:04, Paolo Patierno <ppatie...@live.com> wrote:
Hi,

enabling the Qpid Proton trace through PN_TRACE_FRM=1 when I start the Qpid
Dispatch Router, I need sometimes to know who is the remote peer is
exchanging traced messages.

For example, considering these few lines of trace (running the Qpid
Dispatch Router) :

Accepted from 127.0.0.1:48192
Accepted from 127.0.0.1:48190
[0x7fbc44016390]:  <- SASL
[0x7fbc44016390]:  -> SASL
[0x7fbc44003b70]:  <- SASL
[0x7fbc44003b70]:  -> SASL
[0x7fbc44016390]:0 -> @sasl-mechanisms(64)
[sasl-server-mechanisms=@PN_SYMBOL[:ANONYMOUS, :PLAIN]]
[0x7fbc44003b70]:0 -> @sasl-mechanisms(64)
[sasl-server-mechanisms=@PN_SYMBOL[:ANONYMOUS, :PLAIN]]

The router accepts two connections from remote clients (we see IP and port)
but then every message is related to an "identifier" (I guess it should be
the file descriptor related to the used socket).

I think the 'identifier' will actually relate to the proton transport,
e.g its address, since the engine doesnt know about the socket.

If I need to match these information with Wireshark (where I can see remote
port) I don't know if remote clients using remote port 48192 is related to
0x7fbc44016390 or 0x7fbc44003b70.

I think it could be a good information to add into the trace at least
showing the "identifier" after the accepted message, i.e. :

Accepted from 127.0.0.1:48192 [0x7fbc44016390]
I don't think we can display the proton transport reference (0x7fbc44016390)
next to the host/ephemeral port because we don't have a transport yet. Dispatch
router code is accepting the connection in src/driver.c function
qdpn_listener_accept() and proton is not in the picture yet.

If we could issue a log once the transport is created that has the transport reference and the host/port, that would solve the problem.