On 16/04/18 15:24, Ken Giusti wrote:
To reply to my own question:

IMHO when sending an unsettled multicast I would expect
1) that all present consumers will get a copy of the message and:
2) that any potential consumers that are *not* present would not get a
copy of the message (right, that's a no-brainer, but hear me out).
3) if any consumer signals a REJECT

So I would like the router to:

1) send back a final disposition of REJECT if *any* client returned a REJECT.
The spec is pretty clear that the message is considered invalid by the recipient
  in this case.  That's a pretty big deal, since I assumed that the message is
not invalid when it was sent.  This could possibly indicate a bug or a state
mismatch between sender and receiver.  I would want to know about this.

What if there are 10 consumers, and only one of them rejects it? Clearly there is a problem, but is it the sender that is best able to react to that? Perhaps the consumer that rejected it is at fault since all the other consumers considered the message valid.

What if two of the consumer reject for different reasons (i.e. with different errors)?

While I agree that the rejection is important information, I'm not sure that propagating it to the sender is the necessarily the most useful way of signalling this. Maybe some eventing scheme would actually be useful, allowing the system to configure where to direct the information so it can be acted upon. Failing that better control over logging of this sort of thing.