Your expectation was incorrect. That config toggle existed from before
the clients implementation of JMS 2.0 and only controls behaviour of
send calls made without a CompletionListener in place. Specifically,
it forces sync sends for non-persistent messages and inside a
transactions. The explicitly async send using CompletionListener are
*always* async. The CompletionListener is always fired from another
thread, as required by the JMS spec, once a result is received from
the server or once it is known none will be.

The different between sync and async is whether the send method
returns before a final result for the send (e.g message accepted,
message rejected) is known from the server.